Sunday 16 May 2021

I thought boda boda tourism was for international tourists 🤭

Several years ago, while I was still in school, the motorbike as a boda boda was introduced into Uganda. Prior to that it was bicycles being used to ferry people mostly across borders, that is Uganda to Kenya etc etc. Fast forward almost 20 years later, I am still a loyal fan much to the frustration of my family. 

I became so comfortable that I could sit sidesaddle while this young man, probably high on something, weaves through the traffic from Zana to Mulago. Mind you I always have more than a handbag with me and I don't believe in Safe bodas, I mean look at how unrully they've become now. I need to carry a pair of rubber boots incase it rains or a lamp shade incase I have to work in a room with too much light (sorry, this has never happened though).  

Anyway, seven months ago I was posted, to what we in Uganda like to call, upcountry. The traffic is lighter, the boda bodas still hoot to warn each other, and they even still have brakes🤔. While this was all well and good, I realised that now I was a coward when in Kampala. Suddenly I was that passenger telling the boda boda guy to stop risking my life because I still had dreams to fulfill, corn in the field, blah blah blah. 

Then came one fine afternoon, when I was following up some stuff in Kampala, a colleague offered me a ride to town in her car. I had already booked a matatu in town which would take me further to my final destination. And like any rainy Monday, we found traffic. I had to jump out of her comfortable car onto a boda boda. 

I stopped this friendly looking boda boda guy who immediately spoke to me in perfect English. After we had negotiated the fare and I got on, he told me that he used to be in the tourism industry until COVID19 happened. He took tourists on boda boda tours round Kampala. He was what I thought all guys whether currently or formerly with Safe boda should be like. Calm, considerate of a passenger sitting sidesaddle, ensuring that  you are comfortable, telling you a few things about new developments. I actually forgot about being a coward on Kampala boda bodas. 

Sadly, I didn't get his contact. But I pray that he stays nice, that the tourism business picks up again, that he doesn't decide to marry a younger greedy wife when it picks up and that his basket is always full. Thank you Sebo. I will always remember that comfortable ride to the railway station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment